VecVox support

Home Forums Vectorblade beta test VecVox support

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hcmffm
    Spectator

I just tried out my AtariVox but until no voice output (VB Beta 26). I’ll try more – perhaps it’s just a jumper setting of the AtariVox.

Malban
    Keymaster

Nah, 26 doesn’t have VOX – only the beta24 has compiled it “in”…

hcmffm
    Spectator

Nah, 26 doesn’t have VOX – only the beta24 has compiled it “in”…

Ah, that explains it all! 😉 Thank you, Christopher!

hcmffm
    Spectator

With beta 24 the AtariVox worked like a charm.

First off, I don’t like extra gadgets enhancing the Vectrex too much. For voice output I use two old Sony PC loudspeaker which have a buzz which is much worse than any Vectrex buzz (loudness potentiometer has a problem).

I played three games with the voice output. Here are my current thoughs:

o For some reason I don’t know I expected a female voice. In Super Hexagon (> Link) this is pretty cool and works very well.
    o Voice is output for power-ups (“Shield”, “Money”, …). Somehow I expected voice output for announcing the levels.

The voice output does add to the game. The voice is understandable. Some words like “Scoop” need some refinement. By adding the voice output Vectorblade gets even closer to the original Warblade. But Warblade is a game of sound and graphic effects. I’m not sure whether Vectorblade wants to step into these shoes.

All in all it’s hard to say whether voice output via VecVox is worth the effort and the bytes in the game. Perhaps I’d be more enthousiatic if there was level announcment with a female voice. 😉

Malban
    Keymaster

Original Warblade also has female voice.

If “we” decide to keep it – I can add as many lines of voice as we like – also level anouncement.

But I have not been able to output “female” voice – only slightly more squeeky male voice – or so it sounds to me.

Have to do some googling I guess.

GeoAnas
    Spectator

I am also in favor of keeping voice support (if it doesn’t take too much of memory space of course). I always thought that synthetic voice feature (especially in old arcades) is something quite fascinate.

nic_lobo
    Spectator

played a while with Vecvox now. Voice for power-ups is a good idea. Sometimes everything goes so fast that its nice to hear what I’ve picked up 🙂

For getting money I’d prefer a sound effect as you are getting money really often.

Perhaps It’s possoble to add a line like “Welcome to grumpy Alien’s Supplies” when entering the store.

vtk
    Spectator

Perhaps It’s possoble to add a line like “Welcome to grumpy Alien’s Supplies” when entering the store.

how about .. “YOU STEAL, YOU DIE …” 🙂

hcmffm
    Spectator

For getting money I’d prefer a sound effect as you are getting money really often.

+1

GeoAnas
    Spectator

+1

hcmffm
    Spectator

Beta31: Without “Money” the voice output is much better and less irritating, now. 🙂

Malban
    Keymaster

The pitch of the voice has already been lifted.

I dunno if we can get more out of it. And Yesterday I discovered my Sound system doesn’t work anymore – so  I can’t listen to it at the moment anyway 🙂

hcmffm
    Spectator

The pitch of the voice has already been lifted.

Ah, you’ve read my post before I removed the comment about the pitch. Actually, the pitch is good and the voice sounds good to me. Like a female robot. 🙂

Another interesting robot voice:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Vectorblade beta test’ is closed to new topics and replies.