Downloadable Vectorblade versions

Home Forums Vectorblade beta test Downloadable Vectorblade versions

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 523 total)
  • Author
    Malban
    Keymaster

Vectorblade_Beta15.bin – 4rd June 2019

– title INTRO screen with new music of vtk

vtk
    Spectator

hey, question for all the testers:

for any of you, does your vectrex make quite a lot of louder than normal ‘noise/buzz’ when the large ship flies past during the intro animation?

Chris:  i imagine you agree that the logo is moving a little too slow up the screen now..
    if you start the galaga music when the screen is black, let it play for 2-3 seconds before fading in the vectorblade logo, it means u can make the logo move up the screen faster but still keeping time with the ship only flying past when the music stops

ps. i dont know if it is worth trying, but do u think, that loud buzz/noise i get when the large ship flies by might very well be much reduced if the brightness of the ship is reduced?  on my vectrex the ship is extremely bright and from what i can see, it doesnt look like reducing the brightness will spoil anything, and might just tame that loud buzzing…

HERE IS A VIDEO I MADE SHOWING THE ISSUE:
    https://drive.google.com/uc?authuser=0&id=1o_DGfiruIqGVMYSU9e5VMEJT2Roir0tq&export=download

Peer
    Spectator

I have the same “noise/buzz” effect on my buzz consoles, but not on the no-buzz consoles 😉

Also, when the ship comes in, the VectorBlade letters seem to jump forward a bit, and then jump back when the ship leaves. That happens on all consoles. I have seen this effect in my own projects in situations when an additional object is put on the screen, but I have not yet figured out the technical reason and if this can be prevented by some programming technique?

Side note, just to avoid confusion: the new Beta15 still says “Beta 14” in the initial cartridge menu.

Malban
    Keymaster

Found it.

The buzz effect was indeed a bug! Thanks for being so persistent about it. I would have let it go as it was, because I thought it was a vectrex feature!

Malban
    Keymaster

Actually it is all so logical now!

I accidently wrote data to MUX = 11 (sample output) instead of MUX = 10 (intensity).

So it made a hell of a sampled noise. But on NO Buzz machines samples can barely be heard – so on no buzz machines everything was ok!

LOL!

Malban
    Keymaster

And the ship now looks perfect – as intended! No bright spots anymore!!!

Malban
    Keymaster

Vectorblade_Beta16.bin – 5rd June 2019

– changed pause mode to use print sync – therefore mostly rewrote printsync, because it was to slow – now its s nearly 3000 cycles faster, Nico – pause mode now ok with string printing? Should I change the achievements?
    – title screen “noise” bug removed, title now scrolls up faster again, and ship is coming in while music still plays,
    also tried reducing the title “displacement” effect when ship comes in…
    – started calibration – I moved all calibration stuff from bank 3 to bank 0, in bank 3 I only had 67 bytes left…
    – and again less space for major havoc…
    – and it also SAYS beta 16!

PS

These are special routines that print the ship. Depending on the length of a vector different brightness is used, so the ship overall appears in more or less equal brightness!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Malban.
    Peer
    Spectator

Argh, those betas come faster than I can plug in my ram programmer…

Thanks, will try beta 16 tonight 🙂

Could you explain the (title) “displacement” effect to me a bit more detailed? I had some trouble with it in the past, and I just want to understand when and why this happens, and if there is a way to avoid or to circumvent it. No hurry. We can also do this off-line in an email whenever you find the time.

nic_lobo
    Spectator

Nico – pause mode now ok with string printing? Should I change the achievements?

fonts in pause menu are fine now. achievements look good.

Beta16 feels soo different with all the sound effects. Great to have proper audio feeback now!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by nic_lobo.
    vtk
    Spectator

Chris that is ace news i thought there was something wrong with my vectrex lol

looking forward to playing the new beta tonight!  🙂

Malban
    Keymaster

Vectorblade_Beta17.bin – 6rd June 2019

– finishing for today – getting tired, I started calibration – some texts, and you can chose between buzz/ no buzz, Helmut if you have some spare time, would be great if you can test, that you can now correctly calibrate on your no buzz

– nothing else changed…

nic_lobo
    Spectator

tested the calibration on my no-buzz vectrex. working fine on this machine.

Malban
    Keymaster

Vectorblade_Beta18.bin – 7th June 2019

– and another one…
    – finalized no buzz calibration (a few bugs remained before)
    – added the “help system” anywhere but “in game”, Button 1 displays a help screen
    – the “options” font is better now
    – collecting a “full” EXTRA while already using a laser rewards now 20000 points
    – leaving high score/achievement/options -> now returns to desktop
    – fine calibration now with button 2/3
    – boss hit is brighter (from $5f to $7f)
    – stars in highscore can reach further

Next steps:

• add a trophy for achievments
    • probably final boss art from Jacek
    • the particles as of now cannot be controlled any longer – since the “help” occupies the button – what to do?

Most of calibrations is done, need there be more?

Next big thing would be MH…

Malban
    Keymaster

Vectorblade_Beta19.bin – 8rd June 2019

done: Peer: buzz/no buzz selection: text “Button 4 to confirm” is not horizontally centered
    done: Peer: the calibration sub menus all use a different brightness
    done: Peer: help text of the first boss calibration step, missing letter: “… align the(m) as good as possible”
    done: Nico: crash in Pause+Help
    done: bonus waves on more difficult no restriction on bonus random
    done: double Geo: When on ‘MineStorm’ stage, after pressing PAUSE and back, in game sound effects get severely distorted
    done: lower super diamond from 100 to – say 50
    done: helmut: pause status: Suggestion: Scrolling could be page wise
    done: helmut: The scroll indicators should be positioned one at the top and one at the bottom
    done: Highscore: “MAL”-> is now last initials in that “space”
    done: helmut: Desktop Intros
    Suggestion A:
    1.) Octagonal screen is blank
    2.) Transition effect (the same transition effect that is shown right before the descriptions of the power-ups are shown) is shown on the screen and then “Vector blade” and the other stuff appears and scrolls down.
    3.) After a while the astronout appears for a second time.
    4.) Transition effect is shown on the screen and then the description of the power-ups is shown.

The Desktop stuff drove me mad – did work on it for a couple of hours, changed the whole system.
    Hope it works now again.

Also boss 4 has a preliminry new intro… final graphics will be done by Jacek, the current ones use to many vectors… wobbling…

Tomorrow I will have less time for Vectorblade!

Malban
    Keymaster

Vectorblade_Beta20.bin – 8rd June 2019

Ooops Minestorm bonus was dropping always!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 523 total)
  • The forum ‘Vectorblade beta test’ is closed to new topics and replies.