Achievements: Order, …

Home Forums Vectorblade beta test Achievements: Order, …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    hcmffm
    Spectator

Beta 20

Order of achievements
    Currently, the achievements are ordered from low achievement to high achievement.
    Suggestion: I think the order should be the other way round. This would be more intuitive and this would match the order of the shop (items with higher value are at the top.).

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by hcmffm.
    Malban
    Keymaster

Order of the “shop” you mean?

I did think a lot of “the order of the ship?” – but could get what you might have ment.

At the moment they are order like they are kept in memory (programmer like) :-).

But I can change that – no problem….

hcmffm
    Spectator

Beta 21

Thank you for changing the order of the achievements. It’s not quite what I meant. First, let me make a suggestion which has influence on the order:

Scrolling vs. Paging
    Currently, there is line-wise vertical scrolling in the shop and paging (Achievements screen, Status screen) use joystick up/down.
    Suggestion: For paging use joystick left/right instead of up/down. Appropriate arrows indicate this. This will help the user to understand the concept of scrolling and paging better and usage gets more intuitive.

Order of achievements
    I think the order of the achievements should be (assuming that the player sees achievement 1. first):

1. Lowest achievement – Lowest level
    2. Lowest achievement – …
    3. Lowest achievement – Highest level
    4. Highest achievement – Lowest
    5. Highest achievement – …
    6. Highest achievement – Highest level
    Malban
    Keymaster

Ehm, that was EXACTLY the order that was first implemented!

Malban
    Keymaster

Hm, the achievemts are disjunct.
    There are only achievements and level of achievements.

But the achievments itself have no natural order – so you “two”- order system does not make sense – or I don’t understand it.

hcmffm
    Spectator

Ehm, that was EXACTLY the order that was first implemented!

Correct. When paging horizontally your initial order is right. (Sorry, for the back and forth.)

But the achievments itself have no natural order – so your “two”- order system does not make sense – or I don’t understand it.

Hmm, I thought there were types of achievements that are easier to achieve (e.g. sniper) and types of achievements which are harder to get (e.g. Score). That’s why I thought of two levels of ordering. Idea behind this order is that you see an achievement that you have received without paging through all the stuff. But it looks like this order will not help much in this respect.

hcmffm
    Spectator

In order to hi-jack this topic I’ve changed the topic title. 😉

Levels of an achievement
    Currently, I find the levels 1-3 of the achievements a bit confusing. Was it level 1 which is best? Or level 3?
    Perhaps instead (or in addition) of levels there could be stars or something else. This way the user would know which achievement of a specific type (sniper, score, …) is best.

Please note that I’m not so sure about this one and would like to know what other testers think  and suggest to make achievements and their levels clearer to players.

Malban
    Keymaster

I changed the order – again :-).

Gee – what happened to: “We old gamers used to figure things out, we don’t need additional explanation?”

Ranks are like “DefCon” – DefCon 5 is peace, DefCon 1 is war.

Ranks 1 is “better” than Rank 3. (Hm… is war now better than peace???)

Should also be VERY obvious if you look at the conditions what you need to achive to get the ranks.

Anyways…
    Even than… the actual order is absolutely irrelavant, if you fullfull the conditions – you get the achievements reward.

Even if I totally mix them up…

hcmffm
    Spectator

Gee – what happened to: “We old gamers used to figure things out, we don’t need additional explanation?”

I just try to find ways to make things simpler and clearer if possible. Some ideas and suggestons may be good and some are not. I did civil service but AFAIK, in military the more decorations you have, the better. And the more stars (or whatever) a decoration has, the better. Obviously Vectorblade is not a military game. 😉

The different ordering was just a trial to find a way that players must not wade through pages of achievements to see the achievements they have. Though I understand now that using a different ordering doesn’t help in that respect unless you ordered
    1. all achieved achievements.
    2. all non-achieved achievements.
    But this would break the natural ordering of the achievements.

During the past days I played a lot and made various proposals including stupid ones. I’ll have a two week testing pause.

Please move this one to “Resolved”.

Malban
    Keymaster

Hm

I somehow thought Rank 1 being better than rank 2 ….

If it is more natural the other way around – I can chnage that no problem…

Thoughts?

Peer
    Spectator

As far as I know, regarding the numbers, in military ranks there is no “uniform” system (pun intended): e.g. officer 1st class ranks higher than officer 2nd class, 4 star general ranks higher than 3 star general. Then there are also gold, silver and bronze ranks, in obvious order.

hcmffm
    Spectator

O.k., by now I understand the ranks. Ranks (Ensign, Lieutenant, …) are taken from Warblade, isn’t it? From what I can see these are Navy Ranks, see https://www.military-ranks.org/navy .

In total it’s 47 achievements that you can get which results in a very long list. I still wonder whether the order of the achievement could be improved in some way. E.g. simple achievements first and difficult achievements last. In the order below achievements without level first (only exception “ALL”) are listed first.

TRIPLE <top of list> <— This achievement is displayed when opening the list. User has to page **upwards** to see other achievements.
    QUADRO
    BLASTER
    LIVELY
    GREEDY
    GREATEST LOSS
    OFFICER 4-1
    SNIPER 3-1
    SCORER 5-1
    MONEY COLLECTOR 5-1
    CHALLENGER 4-1
    SPY 4-1
    BLADEMASTER 5-1
    ALL <bottom of list>

Ascending order starting at bottom
    And I wonder whether the list should be ordered just the other way round: TRIPLE at the very bottom of the list and ALL at the very top of the list. The user would start at the very bottom and scroll upward. Not quite sure but this way this order might reflect the “value” of the achievement better. Hardest/most valuable achievements are listed at the very top.
    Perhaps a trial version with this order and start could be provided and then people can discuss and judge better.

ALL <Top of list>
    BLADEMASTER 5-1
    SPY 4-1
    CHALLENGER 4-1
    MONEY COLLECTOR 5-1
    SCORER 5-1
    SNIPER 3-1
    OFFICER 4-1
    GREATEST LOSS
    GREEDY
    LIVELY
    BLASTER
    QUADRO
    TRIPLE <Bottom of list> <— This achievement is displayed when opening the list. User has to page **upwards** to see other achievements.

Malban
    Keymaster

Hehe.

Actually I have no great preference about the ordering. My main concern is, that the achievements are achievable.
    My test yesterday showed, that 4 of them are not achievable yet.

I tell you what, following is the current ordering in “code” form.

First in the list is displayed first and scrolling is down.
    I can easily change that to scroll up.

Why don’t you order them the way you like – and I compile a version that displays it – and we look how that works out.

Only additional thing you must say is whether scrolling “up” from bottom (different than now), or “down” from top (like it is now):

achivementPointers: 
                        dw       snr3_t,snr3_n,snr3_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SNIPER_RANK3 
                        dw       snr2_t,snr2_n,snr3_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SNIPER_RANK2 
                        dw       snr1_t,snr1_n,snr3_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SNIPER_RANK1 
                        dw       scr5_t,scr5_n,scr5_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SCORER_RANK5 
                        dw       scr4_t,scr4_n,scr5_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SCORER_RANK4 
                        dw       scr3_t,scr3_n,scr5_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SCORER_RANK3 
                        dw       scr2_t,scr2_n,scr5_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SCORER_RANK2 
                        dw       scr1_t,scr1_n,scr5_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SCORER_RANK1 
                        dw       mnr5_t,mnr5_n,mnr5_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_COLLECTOR_RANK5 
                        dw       mnr4_t,mnr4_n,mnr5_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_COLLECTOR_RANK4 
                        dw       mnr3_t,mnr3_n,mnr5_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_COLLECTOR_RANK3 
                        dw       mnr2_t,mnr2_n,mnr2_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_COLLECTOR_RANK2 
                        dw       mnr1_t,mnr1_n,mnr1_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_COLLECTOR_RANK1 
                        dw       blr5_t,blr5_n,blr5_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_BLADEMASTER_RANK5 
                        dw       blr4_t,blr4_n,blr4_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_BLADEMASTER_RANK4 
                        dw       blr3_t,blr3_n,blr3_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_BLADEMASTER_RANK3 
                        dw       blr2_t,blr2_n,blr2_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_BLADEMASTER_RANK2 
                        dw       blr1_t,blr1_n,blr1_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_BLADEMASTER_RANK1 
                        dw       ofr4_t,ofr4_n,ofr4_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_OFFICER_RANK4 
                        dw       ofr3_t,ofr3_n,ofr3_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_OFFICER_RANK3 
                        dw       ofr2_t,ofr2_n,ofr2_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_OFFICER_RANK2 
                        dw       ofr1_t,ofr1_n,ofr1_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_OFFICER_RANK1 
                        dw       spr4_t,spr4_n,spr4_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_SPY_RANK4 
                        dw       spr3_t,spr3_n,spr3_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_SPY_RANK3 
                        dw       spr2_t,spr2_n,spr2_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_SPY_RANK2 
                        dw       spr1_t,spr1_n,spr1_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_SPY_RANK1 
                        dw       chr4_t,chr4_n,chr4_r, 4*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE5_CHALLENGER_RANK4 
                        dw       chr3_t,chr3_n,chr4_r, 4*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE5_CHALLENGER_RANK3 
                        dw       chr2_t,chr2_n,chr4_r, 4*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE5_CHALLENGER_RANK2 
                        dw       chr1_t,chr1_n,chr4_r, 4*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE5_CHALLENGER_RANK1 
                        dw       blas_t,blas_n,blas_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_LASER 
                        dw       quad_t,quad_n,quad_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_QUADRO 
                        dw       trpl_t,trpl_n,trpl_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_TRIPPLE 
                        dw       loss_t,loss_n,loss_r, 4*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE5_BIGGEST_LOSS 
                        dw       greed_t,greed_n,greed_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_GREEDY 
                        dw       life_t,life_n,life_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_9LIVES 
                        dw       all_t,all_n,all_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_ALL 
                        dw       0
    hcmffm
    Spectator

Thanks for providing the source code and giving the chance to try out a different sorting, Christopher. Below, please find the modified code.

Only additional thing you must say is whether scrolling “up” from bottom (different than now), or “down” from top (like it is now):

Scrolling should be “up” from bottom:
    Items in the list below have correct order (most difficult achievement “ALL” at the very top, least difficult achievement “TRIPLE” at the very bottom). When displaying the list, the item “TRIPLE” should be displayed first and the user scrolls up to see the next item “QUADRO”. Please let me know in case you need the items in the code sorted the other way round.

BTW: In the shop the items are also ordered this way: Most valuable items at the top and list starts with the item at the very bottom. Let’s see how this works out for achievements…

achivementPointers: 
                        dw       all_t,all_n,all_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_ALL 
                        dw       blr1_t,blr1_n,blr1_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_BLADEMASTER_RANK1 
                        dw       blr2_t,blr2_n,blr2_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_BLADEMASTER_RANK2 
                        dw       blr3_t,blr3_n,blr3_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_BLADEMASTER_RANK3 
                        dw       blr4_t,blr4_n,blr4_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_BLADEMASTER_RANK4 
                        dw       blr5_t,blr5_n,blr5_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_BLADEMASTER_RANK5 
                        dw       spr1_t,spr1_n,spr1_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_SPY_RANK1 
                        dw       spr2_t,spr2_n,spr2_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_SPY_RANK2 
                        dw       spr3_t,spr3_n,spr3_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_SPY_RANK3 
                        dw       spr4_t,spr4_n,spr4_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_SPY_RANK4 
                        dw       chr1_t,chr1_n,chr4_r, 4*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE5_CHALLENGER_RANK1 
                        dw       chr2_t,chr2_n,chr4_r, 4*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE5_CHALLENGER_RANK2 
                        dw       chr3_t,chr3_n,chr4_r, 4*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE5_CHALLENGER_RANK3 
                        dw       chr4_t,chr4_n,chr4_r, 4*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE5_CHALLENGER_RANK4 
                        dw       mnr1_t,mnr1_n,mnr1_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_COLLECTOR_RANK1 
                        dw       mnr2_t,mnr2_n,mnr2_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_COLLECTOR_RANK2 
                        dw       mnr3_t,mnr3_n,mnr5_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_COLLECTOR_RANK3 
                        dw       mnr4_t,mnr4_n,mnr5_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_COLLECTOR_RANK4 
                        dw       mnr5_t,mnr5_n,mnr5_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_COLLECTOR_RANK5 
                        dw       scr1_t,scr1_n,scr5_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SCORER_RANK1 
                        dw       scr2_t,scr2_n,scr5_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SCORER_RANK2 
                        dw       scr3_t,scr3_n,scr5_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SCORER_RANK3 
                        dw       scr4_t,scr4_n,scr5_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SCORER_RANK4 
                        dw       scr5_t,scr5_n,scr5_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SCORER_RANK5 
                        dw       snr1_t,snr1_n,snr3_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SNIPER_RANK1
                        dw       snr2_t,snr2_n,snr3_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SNIPER_RANK2 
                        dw       snr3_t,snr3_n,snr3_r, 0*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE1_SNIPER_RANK3 
                        dw       ofr1_t,ofr1_n,ofr1_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_OFFICER_RANK1 
                        dw       ofr2_t,ofr2_n,ofr2_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_OFFICER_RANK2 
                        dw       ofr3_t,ofr3_n,ofr3_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_OFFICER_RANK3 
                        dw       ofr4_t,ofr4_n,ofr4_r, 3*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE4_OFFICER_RANK4
                        dw       loss_t,loss_n,loss_r, 4*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE5_BIGGEST_LOSS 
                        dw       greed_t,greed_n,greed_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_GREEDY 
                        dw       life_t,life_n,life_r, 1*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE2_9LIVES 
                        dw       blas_t,blas_n,blas_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_LASER 
                        dw       quad_t,quad_n,quad_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_QUADRO 
                        dw       trpl_t,trpl_n,trpl_r, 2*256+ ACHIEVEMENT_FLAG_BYTE3_TRIPPLE 
                        dw       0

hcmffm
    Spectator

Beta 31. After my 1.9 Mio. game I had a look at all the achievements I received in this single game. When scrolling through the achievements I noticed what is irritating.

Page contents starts beyond up/down arrows
    Currently, when a new page appears the new page’s contents are not within the two up/down arrows.
    Suggestion: Page content should be made a bit smaller (remove some empty space underneath the name of the achievement, for example). When the top/bottom of the incoming page contents should always remain within the arrows.

<Note: I’ll add a picture showing what I mean tomorrow.>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Vectorblade beta test’ is closed to new topics and replies.