Downloadable Vectorblade versions

Home Forums Vectorblade beta test Downloadable Vectorblade versions

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 523 total)
  • Author
    Peer
    Spectator

Cool idea!

But sometimes it not only rains – it pours. As of this hour my Eprom programmer is broken – it does not work.

Umbrella: I can send you my eprom programmer, so that you can continue to work while claiming warranty for yours. I have lectures all morning and our local post office is closed this afternoon, but I can do this tomorrow, so the package might reach you before the upcoming weekend. I have the model that vtk recommended when VB beta testing started. Would that suffice?

Cheers,
    Peer

Malban
    Keymaster

Thanks for the offer.

For the time being the thing is again “half working” – I can burn, but not read.
    Anyway… the one who wants to be a REAL vectrex programmer needs two eprom programmers.

I’ll probably look for another one soon (and send this one in for warrenty)

Peer
    Spectator

Are you sure that you don’t want/need it?

I would have included some more Vectorblade Power-Ups in the package 😉

Malban
    Keymaster

I love it when a theory works.

I implemented a save state! I can save a game at any time – and reload it. Cool!

Now – the fiddle stuff, to do it in the MNI, and each round… and such…
    And than I’ll go play some serious vectorblade till the bug show itself… and I am in it for another round of despair…

But I tell you what – if we ever find this bug…

Vectorblade will be so polished… it will shine 😉

Malban
    Keymaster

Extending on the idea above. I MIGHT be able to reproduce the crash – if it reproducable at all.

With the amount of spare memory now – I can not only save the game, but also additional data.
    The explained saving of the game state is working good – and loading in Vide also works.

Now – if I am able to store TWO bytes each game round (button/X joystick) – I should be able to exactly recreate the bug – if it occurs.

All “savings” are reset each game round – 1 second = 100 byte of data.
    60 seconds = 6000 bytes of data – provided I play each level in less than 60 seconds (which is totally doable, except for the “shielded levels”) – I can do a complete save of a level with all neccessary replay data.

If THAN a crash occurs – I can just load the game, and let it replay itself. If it IS reproduceable it MUST happen again.

Bother – I have to work today… So I will only be able to program on that thing tonight. But that might actually be a breakthru.
    (and hopefully it IS reproducable)

Chris

Peer
    Spectator

… provided I play each level in less than 60 seconds …

Why the rush?

There are 4 buttons, so a complete button state requires just one nible, and you can store 2 frames in one byte. If you need just the fire button, then 8 frames can by compressed in one byte. Joystick x can also be compressed. The ship cannot “jump” from 50 to 100. So you can store just the delta (which basically is the joy left/middle/right information). Again one byte can store at least 2 frames. This of course requires some encoding/decoding bit-fiddling infrastructure, but that shouldn’t be too complicated.

Just a though, but this should give you more than 60 seconds, or the possibility to store some additional useful information?

Bother – I have to work today…

Yeah, same here, annoying distraction from the really important things… 😉

Cheers,
    Peer

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

@Chris @Peer

Thank you for the informations and your brilliant ideas!

@Chris: Thanks for your last kind message. Just a precision (My “tester” and “gamer” point of view):  playing Vectorblade a lot now, i have a real “experience” on it;  so i can say that the pleasure to play increased with time, because there is always a new challenge, a new bonus to unlock. And, to progress, there is always a new strategic approach to try.

So, I do not have the feeling to overplay the game, I am just delighted to be one on the first play this great game  ! 👍🏻

Malban
    Keymaster

@Jerome:

So did you find all secrets?

Read all secret messages?

Ever reached all achievments?

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

<i>Read all secret messages</i>: Yes

<i>found all secrets</i>: no

<i>reached all achievements:</i> no-> changing the versions (and because of the bug) i lost a part of my progress.

Malban
    Keymaster

Vectorblade_B52.bin – 14th Mai 2020

As described by my blog post from today. Sorry no VecFever version -> you need a flash for the debugging/saving features!

I tried 4 games – but never got further than level fourty-ish. Not my day for gaming.

So no – I didn’t get the crash captured yet.

If any of you get a crash while playing with this version – pls read out your flash chip directly afterwards (without playing a new game) – and send it to me – it will be 256kB.

Cheers

Chris

Malban
    Keymaster

Not playing very well atm.

5 games till about 40

1 game to about 120

1 game to 150

Another two around 40

One over 200

No crash yet. Tonight I’ll play more….

Malban
    Keymaster

I’ll edit the post above with my current results.

@Jerome
    :

Did you per chance play the “non Vox” version?

That is the one I am playing – did it crash for you? Or am I starting a marathon with a non VecVox version that does not crash…

Cheers

Chris

Peer
    Spectator

FYI: All the games I played during the past weeks were without Vox.

Cheers,
    Peer

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

Hi,

@Chris:

I did not play enough, but no crash with the VF B51 version. I only played a little more than 100 levels. But tonight i will take the time to play more and i will let you know my results

Malban
    Keymaster

BAM!

Level 474 – CRASH!

Recorded it. I can reproduce it on the Vectrex!

I can reproduce it in VIDE!!!!!!

I’m to tired to look right now – but this might be THE breakthrough (if there are not more crash-causes) – tomorrow we will solve this riddle!

VB_Crash_Flash.bin

If you start this one and press in the “intro” (the BIOS intro of VB) button 3+4 together (but released once after the “pure” BIOS intro) – the cart will continue the game and crash after about 3 seconds!

Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 523 total)
  • The forum ‘Vectorblade beta test’ is closed to new topics and replies.