Downloadable Vectorblade versions

Home Forums Vectorblade beta test Downloadable Vectorblade versions

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 523 total)
  • Author
    hcmffm
    Spectator

Thanks for the new version, Christopher. My personal goal: Finish “Easy”.

Malban
    Keymaster

Hi,

last days I again did some small Vectorblade stuff.

Mainly still fixing “super cranky” stuff (the new Vectrex I told you about)… there will not be a new beta version very soon.
    Next beta will probably be when I am “totally” finished – and really only bugfixing will be done.
    (Meanwhile I might still except small “feature requests” 🙂 ).

The overlay “drama” seems to unfold itself, the overlay was sort of approved by the printer and the final “orders” have been given. The printer is unsure if the final result will be “great” – he fears the details…
    Although the overlay uses only 4 colors (black, white, red and blue) it must be printed in 7 different stages… the more stages, the more difficult to print…

I started fine tuning the “diary”, which will be an extra booklet accompanying the game. VTK has the dubious honor of proof reading…

I also started the instruction booklet, but that will keep me busy for a while, since it is really trying to insert vector graphics.

The first beta of the first 5 pages can be seen at -> Download: InstructionBeta1.pdf
    No need to proof read yet… It’s just some scribblings to get used to the editing again.

Cheers

Malban

Malban
    Keymaster

Another beta, -> Download: VectorbladeDiary.pdf

hcmffm
    Spectator

Thank you for your update, Chris. Good to see that Vectorblade progresses. 🙂

Another beta, -> Download: VectorbladeDiary.pdf

Almost I wrote something like “Where can I download the new beta?” but then realized that it’s a beta of the Vectorblade diary and not a beta of Vectorblade. 😉

I also started the instruction booklet, but that will keep me busy for a while, since it is really trying to insert vector graphics.

Let me know if you need support in creating vector graphics. As you know, vectorizing scans or screenshots with vector graphics is a work that I like. Once vectorized you can use the vector graphics even in MS Word or MS PowerPoint.

Malban
    Keymaster

Latest version of the instruction booklet:
    -> Download: InstructionBeta3.pdf

Malban
    Keymaster

‘Just removed a strange little bug.

I could still shoot, enemies appeared – but the shots went thru all enemies. No collision detection.

Also the fighter could not move anymore.

If it had been a “normal” level I would have died, but since it was a challenging stage – all enemies passed by, and the next level started – and everything was fine again.

So tell me – how do you find a bug like that?

You go on a quest – a bug quest, and slay all foes. In the ivory tower back guarded behind a hord of dragons – it lurks.

The solution was:

clr starCount

What happened?

I collected an EXTRA in the correct order and that started the wheel. The wheel is a “break” in the current game scenario – after the break the current game continues exactly where you left. Except stars, stars are random, so I thought I do not have to keep all star information save. After the wheel I just did a “initStars()” – and the game (most of the time) just continues.

But.

Stars are dynamic. depending on how much time I have left, I spawn new stars – or remove “old” ones.

What happened was, that the “wheel break” just happened to be when there was much on the screen, and the dynamic kicked in and removed the stars that it deemed were to many.
    The dynamic “starRemove” is such, that at least ONE star element must be kept.

What I missed was, that “initStars()” does not reset the starCount – so after the initStars() there were 0 (zero) stars present, but the counter still counted 4.

After the initStars() I spawned one set of stars (since at least one must be present).

In one of the first game rounds – the program discovered – “oops I go near the 50Hz mark, I better remove some stars” – and since it thought “hey 5 stars are available – lets remove some”, ALL stars were removed (the one).

The thing is – within the FIRST displayed star object, the player positions are updated (in the inMove section), and also the collision detection is prepared. This is why at LEAST one star must be present!

And so I could not move any longer, and the shots had no collision detection, since they were never “prepared”.

For today – I crown myself “King of debug” – for finding this really obscure and hard to encounter… BUG!

Malban

Malban
    Keymaster

FYI

vtk
    Spectator

ace, its all coming together now isnt it,  hopefully u are happy with the packaging side of things?

Malban
    Keymaster

Lol.

Not really. I “ordered” James to throw them away.

The price for each Vectorblade just went up 3 pounds. The boxes are not right and will be reprinted.

Jacek saw that with one glance… can you?

Malban

vtk
    Spectator

uh oh its no good?

what went wrong?

the only guess i can think is,  on the front of the box are the gfx printed too low down?

(funny if thats not even the problem)…  =D

?

hcmffm
    Spectator

Hmm, my first thought was also that all graphics except the MB logo are too low down. But from what I can see the VEXTREX logo and the “CASSETTE” label is missing on the front.

Some minor issues that I want to mention:

Grid a bit too coarse
    The white grid seems to be a bit too coarse:
    MB originals: 34 squares horizontal
    Vector blade: 32 squares horizontal

Penis-style space ships
    As you know, I don’t like the penis-style space ships in the higher levels. On the box these space ships don’t look any better. Perhaps a scene with other space ships could be chosen for the screenshot on the box.

EDIT:

Screenshot on box reveals some surprise
    The screenshot shows the players spaceship with two scoopies of different type. This does happen but is a bit unusual. And it’s a bit of a surprise when this does happen (at least to me it was).
    I’d suggest a screenshot with two similar buddies which is more standard and thus not reveal this little surprise.

Malban
    Keymaster

So… the new production was done.

Overall the design was not changed.

Sorry if that one spaceship might be to “penisy” for some taste.
    I talked with a few different other people if they take offense – and they didn’t, the overall thought was – “that is just like spaceships look in general” … and the spaceship in question is on the first steps of growth … so I don’t think it is TOO bad.

Personally on the photos I didn’t notice the larger “grid” – it probably is more noticable on close inspection. Helmut you are quite a perfectionist to notice! Very good quality in a beta tester :-)!

Actually I would have prefered a totally different background. I would have prefered a different approach than the “usual” vectrex style. But I let Jacek completely free hand on this – so this is what we got – and overall I think it is a very good box.

I haven’t got the boxes yet, but the new photos look very promising:

Cheers

Malban

nic_lobo
    Spectator

Looking really better now with the logo instead of the gap. The graphics are great.
    I know that every addition will make things more complicated, but a small “artbook” with concept dravings would be really cool 🙂

nic_lobo
    Spectator

I also love that my shop alien made it on th back cover!

GeoAnas
    Spectator

Looks really fantastic! This spaceship down to the corner reminds me EXERION flyer, my alltime favorite arcade game! Excellent job!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 523 total)
  • The forum ‘Vectorblade beta test’ is closed to new topics and replies.