Nico testing notes / findings / suggestions etc

Home Forums Vectorblade beta test Nico testing notes / findings / suggestions etc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    nic_lobo
    Spectator

Thank you very much for letting me play the beta 🙂
    Great game, no slowdowns, cool music. It’s challenging (did not manage to get too far, but I keep trying )
    I was quite busy – hope to find more time testing the next days.

I’ve started testing with a vectrex that is a bit dark (also on max brightness) so I had to switch to another vectrex. Vectorblade is darker than the most games on the vectrex.

I’m now using the beta13 bin.

it would be nice to have the option to center the screen inside the calibrations menu

sometime there is a permanent buzzing sound inside the options menu

I have squeezed italic characters in the pause menu (this vectrex also has a problem displaying the text of the sk multicard)

sometime I can’t buy certain items in the shop menu (not marked as n/a and I have enough money)

I tend to pick up the 1-shot pretty often (I know that was mentioned before) perhaps It could have a triangle symbol, cause it’s always a downgrade.

I love the graphics, everything is aligning fine, I also like the new options menu.

sorry if points were mentioned before.

Cheers,
    Nico

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by nic_lobo.
    hcmffm
    Spectator

Welcome, Nico, good to see you’re around, too!

sometime I can’t buy certain items in the shop menu (not marked as n/a and I have enough money)

The user interface of the “shop” is also on my list for improvements. I’ll post various suggestions, soon.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by hcmffm.
    nic_lobo
    Spectator

thanks Helmut 🙂

unfortunately I’m really bad at this game. So I’ve only managed once to get through the Minestorm.
    There was my ship and a “meteor” – think I should have done something (could not manage to move the ship).

I assume this would have been the entry to a platformer level?

Perhaps there could be a howto screen. Sad to be sent to the next level without having the chance (cause not knowing what) to do something.

Edit: the ship is moving, but centered … realized it now

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by nic_lobo.
    Malban
    Keymaster

I’ve started testing with a vectrex that is a bit dark (also on max brightness) so I had to switch to another vectrex. Vectorblade is darker than the most games on the vectrex.

Yeah, probably is…

it would be nice to have the option to center the screen inside the calibrations menu

Would be nice – yes – but is not going to happen.
    This would mean an EXTRA move for each and every element on the screen.
    There is just too much going on. I envy Thomas whose VecFever emulators have that option. It is great!

sometime there is a permanent buzzing sound inside the options menu

Option Menu is “not finished”… There is no “sound” in the options menu (no music) – so probably the buzz of the last note is echoing endlessly… I will look at it while finalizing the options.

I have squeezed italic characters in the pause menu (this vectrex also has a problem displaying the text of the sk multicard)

Hm. perhaps that can be fixed to. It is “mainly” a problem of your vectrex – but there are routines that can prevent that – they are just more “costly”. I’ll look at it. Is this also the case when looking at the achievement section in the main menu?

That should only be the case when

a) marked with n/a
    b) you already have that item.

But the shop – now that you mention it – is still the first version I ever did – so maybe an overhaul here might not be a bad idea either…

I tend to pick up the 1-shot pretty often (I know that was mentioned before) perhaps It could have a triangle symbol, cause it’s always a downgrade.

Nope – in the beginning of the game it is also an upgrade. When you collect it while having a 1 shot, it gives you an additional bullet :-).

Thanks for your comments.

We will all make this a better game. Funny how every tester has a different perspective and new points. But that is GOOD.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Malban.
    nic_lobo
    Spectator

Downloaded beta 16

There is no “sound” in the options menu (no music) – so probably the buzz of the last note is echoing endlessly…

fixed now

on the Havoc level there is always a circle (like the little man is riding a bubble unicycle) is that normal?
    I’m using a digital controller now and it’s quite difficult to steer the man. It would be easier if there was a jump button.

Think my learning curve is pretty slow – I reached my 1st boss level today, but only had the single shot. Is it possible to defeat him with the single shot? I always had the small “bats” between me and the boss.

I hate the warp failure when there are multiple enemies (but Captain Kirk also hated warp and transporter failures and had to deal with them) , I think I just have to learn the strategy to beat them.

Perhaps it would be nice to display a screen with the background story at the beginning.

Malban
    Keymaster

on the Havoc level there is always a circle (like the little man is riding a bubble unicycle) is that normal?
    I’m using a digital controller now and it’s quite difficult to steer the man. It would be easier if there was a jump button.

The Minor Havoc part is not finished – not need to test or comment yet :-).

Think my learning curve is pretty slow – I reached my 1st boss level today, but only had the single shot. Is it possible to defeat him with the single shot? I always had the small “bats” between me and the boss.

Well it is certainly easier to kill him with a better shot. But yes I frequently kill it with a one shot also. But it also depends on your other stats… with a very slow one shot, with only “one bullet in the air” – I dare say it IS impossible.

Perhaps it would be nice to display a screen with the background story at the beginning.

That’s a tough one. I thought about it, but ultimately decided against it. The game will come with a manual  and you can read the diary of good T.Rex already online. I think it would be to much “in game” if some story was displayed also.

I know it not a reason per se – but know other game on the vectrex does it either :-).

That being said – I am strongly thinking about implementing a “help system” Button 1 (F1 hehe) could always display situational help (if there IS any help that might be interesting)… but only thinking about it… it really is sugar.. on top of the icecream…

vtk
    Spectator

nico said: I hate the warp failure when there are multiple enemies

try to get the bonus upgrades: bullets, rate, and speed up as quick as you can and then it all becomes much easier

also try to get good at the minestorm round and always visit it when you have the chance, because every time you finish that stage you get $1000 bonus, so then in the shop you can buy lots of bullets, rate and speed upgrades

ps. having a fast ship speed is particularly important because it means you can move around the screen really quickly, allowing you to grab a lot more falling bonus icons

nic_lobo
    Spectator

using beta 17

@vtk
    thanks for your hints – managed to get over 100000 points twice now. Also was not aware that get minestorm levels give so much bonus. Also getting better there 🙂
    Finally managed to defeat the 1st boss but got stuck in the kamikaze lv28 with the ships flying in zig zag – hard one!

had my first crash when entering the minestorm – screen went black and a continous sound (don’t remember which level).

I realized that the blinking of the 1st boss is hardly visible. Difficult to determine if he is hit or not.

Got a suggestion to make the achievements screen more sexy:
    trophy
    tried to use not too many lines. The idea is to show the symbol when a player got the achievement.

Malban
    Keymaster

Do you per chance remember whether you had a multiplier when you entered the Minestorm?

nic_lobo
    Spectator

Do you per chance remember whether you had a multiplier when you entered the Minestorm?

no idea, it’s possible

about the 1st boss – ist it difficult to light him up more when hit?

Malban
    Keymaster

I can probably light him a bit more – but that will not make it any easier – only more obvious 🙂

Malban
    Keymaster

I can probably light him a bit more – but that will not make it any easier – only more obvious 🙂

Malban
    Keymaster

PS

Ilike the idea with the trophy – I see what I can do…

nic_lobo
    Spectator

shure, only realized that other enemies light up bright and he’s not. already managed to beat him twice.

Malban
    Keymaster

I completely debugged the minestorm … I could not find anything.

Please look out for this – and possible describe the circumstances this happens.

No other tester as yet found this bug!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • The forum ‘Vectorblade beta test’ is closed to new topics and replies.