The last couple of “major” updates I did to vectorblade were always boss related. Finaly this is ended (or at least for the major part).
Each boss is sort of a mini game of its own – at least programming wise, since they all sport features that are not common to any other part of the game (or to any other boss).
They are quite memory expansive and (for the most part) rather boring to program. I am glad to have that off my back. I didn’t really try to be memory efficient while implementing the bosses – ‘ cause I just wanted to get them done.
Currently I have about 1300 bytes in bank 0 and 2500 bytes in bank 1 left. Hardly enough to do the rest of the game (with 64kB). I guess “mentally” I am prepared to go for 96kB (see last post) and stop worrying about memory for a while.
Still on my todo List:
- about 75 more levels, this means about 10 more enemies, new attack patterns etc.
- difficulty settings (I have already a rather firm grasp on how to implement)
- options/highscore screens
- nice title screen (prototype in my mind and half coded) and attraction mode
- I have some more enemy features in mind, which I would like to implement
- “progress system”
- and all the small stuff, like more/better sound, playtesting bug removing etc
pretty much this list stayed the same for the last couple of weeks (or months?). But having these bosses of my neck feels somehow “like taking a deep breath – and now…”
- the source code consists of over 90 “asm” source files
- the combined length of asm code (ascii text) is about 1.5Mb (ok, many data stements in there)
- 2 music pieces – probably some more to come
- 4 bosses with “huge” grafics
- 13 “normal” enemies (more to come)
- 6 bigbugs (more to come)
- 21 different “bonus” to collect/buy (probably more to come)
- 6 different player shots
- 6 different enemy shots
- 10 different attack patterns (more to come)
- 20 different intro patterns (more to come)
- 3 waiting patterns (more to come)
- x number of “bonus” games/secrets
If/when I finish this – it might not be a good game – but I put some serious work and time into it :-).
Some screenshots of the new (last) boss: