Downloadable Vectorblade versions

Home Forums Vectorblade beta test Downloadable Vectorblade versions

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 523 total)
  • Author
    Jerome Vince
    Spectator

@Chris @Peer:

I sent it in your mailbox

GeoAnas
    Spectator

It happened again. When in demo @level 95, exactly the same symptoms…Vectrex was just switched on.

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

A new crash for me too (“normal B47 version” – End of the level 7; double shots and bullets at max level) ; the frequency of the crashes is widely higher than before. They occur in very low levels now;  luckily I made a new film of this crash

Malban
    Keymaster

Thx for all reports.

since the High Frequency of the crashes – I suspect this is a new bug.

My fingers are itching to investigate – but I cant here…

So for this week –  you must do all Investigations on your own!

Peer
    Spectator

@Jerome and @GeoAnas: Thanks for your input and the messages you sent me.

One possible explanation for these crashes could be reversed roles of bad guy and victim here: Maybe it is not the stack corrupting some ram data, but some ram data (namely the shot data) corrupting the stack, and thus the program counter?

@Malban
    : Chris, just for info, I am too dumb to get the VB 47 binary to run in Vide…

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

@Peer: Yes, nice hypothesis. That’s why it seems that there is no crash playing the Minestorm level.

Did you note voice bugs using the Atarivox+? I have to compare the  beta 40/41 with this last version to be sure,  but sometimes the voices appear prematurely cut. I heard abnormal sounds in several situations too.

A little point i noted: into the shop, the speed/bullet/rate levels are not centered using the new default settings.

Malban
    Keymaster

Hi.

writing from near the baltic sea :-).

I dug out my laptop  and started Vedi and Vectorblade.

I can confirm – the bug is visible in Vedi. I shouldn’t have come up with a not fully tested version – I am sorry about that.
    As said – I have seen the crash – but not investigated yet.
    But sadly I strongly suspect that bug is a “new” one… probably related to the 3 bytes of RAM I freed.

Thx for all your efforts and involvement. I will investigate further once I am back in Duesseldorf.

Cheers

Chris

Peer
    Spectator

Some more digging. I just read a bit in RAMLayoutStatic.asm, and now I am collecting my thougts here.

Rot_VL_Mode internally uses 0xc834 – 0xc83b, and probably also 0xc83c. As far as I can see, in VB those are mapped as follows:

org      _Vec_Str_Ptr                 ; Vec_Counters ; $c82e 17 byte 
    c82c	levelTimer          ds       2                            ; 
    		tmp_div1 
    c82e	bonusSpawnPosition  ds       2 
    		; following 5 definitions are the jmp (on stack) addresses back to the main game loop
    		; from the 5 different linked lists
    		; these can be set in RAM, since lists can be reused in different game sections
    c830	STARS_DONE_A        ds       2                            ; 
    c832	ENEMY_DONE_A        ds       2                            ; 
    c834	SHOTS_DONE_A        ds       2                            ; 
    c836	BONUS_DONE_A        ds       2                            ; 
    c838	PLAYERSHOTS_DONE_A  ds       2                            ; #handle_after 
    		STARS_DONE          =        STARS_DONE_A-2 
    		ENEMY_DONE          =        ENEMY_DONE_A-2 
    		SHOTS_DONE          =        SHOTS_DONE_A-2 
    		PLAYERSHOTS_DONE    =        PLAYERSHOTS_DONE_A-2 
    		BONUS_DONE          =        BONUS_DONE_A-2 
    		; reuse!
    		FW_PARTICLES_DONE   =        ENEMY_DONE 
    		FW_PARTICLES_DONE_A  =       ENEMY_DONE_A 
    c83a	OBJECT_LIST_COMPARE_ADDRESS  ds  0                        ; compare value to above 5 addresses - these must be greater than above addreses, 
    																  ; compare is used to decide whether list is empty or not 
    c83a	warpSpeed           ds       0 
    c83a	bonusAnimCount      ds       0 
    c83a	lightningOn         ds       1                            ; BIT FLAG when an enemy is hit by bullet - but not destroyed - the enemy "flashes", this indicates a current flash (reset by next normal colored enemy) 
    c83b	shotYRadius         ds       1                            ; is allways negated value -> easier/faster compare! 
    c83c	levelEnemyCountUID  ds       1                            ; during level intro - each "permanent" enemy receives a UID, this is the counter for that 
    c83d	_Vec_Rfrsh          ds       2                            ; $C83d / $C83e when using Wait Recal -> than this is 

I failed to check this myself, but could it be that during the dodger sequence (MineStorm) one or some of the values are destroyed by Rot_VL_Mode, and afterwards the values are not properly reinitialized or restored before being used the next time?

Cheers,
    Peer

Malban
    Keymaster

Vectorblade_B48.bin – 4th Mai 2020

and the same as VecFever variant:

Vectorblade_B48.V4E – 4th Mai 2020

The crash I removed was NEW – and due to size optimization, instead of a “LSLA” I accidently wrote a “LSRA”, which for a list/pointer access could be fatal.
    I could not test the new binaries longer than 1/2 an hour or so… can’t concentrate – I hope these are “better”.

@Peer
    : I checked those RAM locations, and they get repopulated correctly after a minestorm.

Cheers

Chris

Peer
    Spectator

@Peer: I checked those RAM locations, and they get repopulated correctly after a minestorm.

Did you also check the “maximum stack requirement: 9 bytes” of Rot_VL_Mode?

Cheers,
    Peer

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

Hi,

I tried the last version ( few hours); no crash for me 😊

Just my first impression -> very positive:  screen / sound / calibration/ scores -> all seems good now 👍🏻

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

Arghh! A new strange bug testing the game tonight: i was fighting the 2nd Boss (easy mode) when i suddendly left the game -> VecFever menu

Malban
    Keymaster

During the bossfight?

That’s nice…
    Vectorblade is crooked. I’ll throw it in the bin and never look at it again.

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

Yes it was during the boss fight.

It was the “Run, Run,Run” sequence. I had the blaster and i was firing when i left the game suddendly. The Boss did not touch me.

Malban
    Keymaster

Just played a game on VF. Boss fight two – same thing happened. Probably also a new bug.

Isn’t it wonderful… since I can’t find the old bug, I just insert new once… just for a change…

I’ll be back…

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 523 total)
  • The forum ‘Vectorblade beta test’ is closed to new topics and replies.