Downloadable Vectorblade versions

Home Forums Vectorblade beta test Downloadable Vectorblade versions

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 523 total)
  • Author
    Peer
    Spectator

That’s nice…
    Vectorblade is crooked. I’ll throw it in the bin and never look at it again.

Now I am beating you with your own weapons:

You can’t throw it away. Why? Well, let me cite from the diary of a certain V. Tiberius Rex…

Bugs are invading our system! Wave after wave they are coming.
    My training is not complete yet – but it must suffice. The Vectorblade can fly, and basic weaponry is installed.
    Better fight with a “sting” than not to fight at all. Rumors have it, the bugs are stealing our technology – don’t know what they want to do with it – can they read? Can they in any way make use of the stuff they rob? Never seen a bug using mechanical/electronical implements of any kind. I hate them!

You conjured them up. Now fight them! Just like Tiberius Rex would!

🙂

Malban
    Keymaster

Gee. Again… this was stupid.

PEER!

This was a stack bug. The bug which occurred in BOSS 2!
    Last version you asked for a version where the stack was 2 shortened. I forgot to UNSHORTEN the stack.
    So at least now we know what can happen :-).

The Stack was to short, when the BOSS 2 fired its “words” and those words were put into the VecVox.
    VecVox routines are called with a sub routine – so here the STACK was too small. But this crash also only occurs if there are all 10 possible bullets in the air at the same time (which doesn’t happen with autofire) – you have to smash wildly button 4.

Anyway… I will fix this soon… and than we can go looking for the REAL bug again :-).

Cheers

Chris

Peer
    Spectator

PEER!

This was a stack bug. The bug which occurred in BOSS 2!
    Last version you asked for a version where the stack was 2 shortened. I forgot to UNSHORTEN the stack.

Ready to take the blame. I am just a no-good-for-nothing scientist 🙂

So at least now we know what can happen :-).

Thanks for unintentionally doing this experiment for me. That was exactly what I wanted to take a look at. But it “seems” to me, that THE BUG at least manifests in a different way? Jeez, a stack issue would be such a nice explanation…

Still, the contra-position evidence would be to have a 2+ larger stack with THE BUG not occurring. If only that damn thing would be reproducible…

Malban
    Keymaster

Vectorblade_B49.bin – 7th Mai 2020

and the same as VecFever variant:

Vectorblade_B49.V4E – 7th Mai 2020

Corrected the Stack “extend” – and additionally freed 5 bytes of stack usage when calling vecVox routines. There just were to many subroutine calls in there anyway.

If you got time… pls do another test round. Thx!

Cheers

Chris

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

@Chris: when i want to download Vectorblade B49 (VecFever version) i get the B48.

i don’t know if it is the new version,

could you confirm it?

Malban
    Keymaster

Sorry – wrong link… should work now!

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

Downloaded! I am going to test it!

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

Hi,

I tested the new b49: i got 1 crash and 2 Atarivox+ “Switch off” (for this second point: I have to check if it is related to the game).

The crash: Level 53 -> heavy fire (blaster) against the “Super Alien”; symptoms as always (black screen and continuous sound); i made a little movie

Another little bug: when you modify the size of the screen (calibration), you loose your settings after the Minestorm sequence.

Peer
    Spectator

… you loose your settings after the Minestorm sequence.

<nagging>

Now I might sound like the old Cato in the senate of ancient Rome:

“Ceterum censeo struem esse investigandam!”

😉

A ram setting getting lost (or overwritten/corrupted?) after Minestorm?

“I once more insist that the stack must be investigated!”

And maybe also the Rot_VL_Mode target buffer…

</nagging>

Malban
    Keymaster

Hi,

if you are able to provide me a link to the movie I wozkd ike to see it – not only right before the crash, but preferable a large potion of the game leading to it.

Apart from that I will do a version with two less player shots – so there will be 24 byte MORE stack (plenty of reserve).

If that one also crashes – I do not want to hear the word “stack ever again” :-).

I have to do some finishing touches first though…

Peer
    Spectator

… I do not want to hear the word “stack ever again” :-).

Okay, okay, I’ll rest my case.

In Rome, all the other senators were also annoyed when Cato kept bringing this forward again and again.

But, in the end, Carthage WAS destroyed! 🙂

Malban
    Keymaster

VecFever variant:

Vectorblade_B50.V4E – 9th Mai 2020

Minestorm “resize” fixed.

Alltogether 16 bytes more stack (instead of 6 bonus at the same time on screen, now only 4).
    This is a STACK test bin. If the crash does not happen – it’s a stack thing!
    (I recently had some “crunching” ideas. I could save about 50 bytes of RAM – so if it IS a stack thing, I have a size solution – but it needs some programming…

Also – first changes to the fighter look…

If the crash happens, I will remove Minestorm, if it still happens, I’ll remove the scoopies, if it still happens… I’ll think of something more.
    We must somehow circle in on this thing…

Cheers

Chris

Peer
    Spectator

I do not want to hear the word “stack ever again”

This is a STACK test bin.

Shush, don’t say the word! Don’t wake it! The beast who shall not be named will grow beyond any limit when spoken of! 😉

What about re-using that brilliant idea of yours of adding a special watch-dog to Vide (there already is something like that, isn’t it?): Checking and recording the maximum growth (with respect to its base in VB) of the beast after each single emulated processor instruction, and let Vide go into break-point mode if a certain limit is exceeded?

If the crash does not happen – it’s a <censored> thing!

Always the devil’s advocate: Yes, likely, but keep in mind, that if the crash does still happen, then this does not rule out the beast as root of all evil. It could still be an ever-increasing it-who-we-dont-speak-of thing…

Cheers,
    Peer

PS: New fighter look, cool!

Malban
    Keymaster

The “what is not to be named” watching in Vide is (as stupid as it sounds) more complicated than “easy”.

The thing is I used the “what is not to be named” in game quite frequently for other things – than pure “storing intermediate data”.
    AND
    Sometimes I explicitly allow the end of the player shots to be overwritten – when I know there are no shots on screen.
    (e.g. achievment fireworks…)
    I’d have to rule out all those situations…

… and there is the small thing, that the actual crash NEVER yet happened while playing in Vide!

The “ever” increasing “what is not to be named” I actually totally rule out. Remember? – First thing in my game round that thing is always reinitated to a fixed base value…

Jerome Vince
    Spectator

@Chris: The last version is very nice! The transformation of the ship with the improvement of the firepower is a good idea ( a nod to “Terra Cresta” ?) !!

Playing the game: i noted a random “silence” of my Atarivox+ ( around levels 31/32). I unplugged it and pugged it: it worked again for a time, and then, the same symptoms occured.

to check my material, i played Yasi and the B40 : no prob.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 523 total)
  • The forum ‘Vectorblade beta test’ is closed to new topics and replies.